News and Notes from University Outreach and Engagement
Mark your calendar...
- November 2010 - February 2011
- Call for Proposals: 12th Annual National Outreach Scholarship Conference
- Engaged Scholarship and Evidence-based Practice
- To be hosted by Michigan State University at the Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center, October 2–4, 2011.
- January 2011
- Nominations Due for Kellogg/Magrath Engagement Awards Program
- The Outreach Scholarship W.K. Kellogg Foundation Community Engagement Award is an annual regional award that recognizes outstanding outreach and engagement activities. Nominations (including self-nominations) are encouraged. Each year two projects are selected to represent the University in the regional competition. Projects that win regional awards become finalists in the competition for the national C. Peter Magrath University/Community Engagement Award presented by the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities.
- February 8, 2011
- All-University Awards Convocation
- Pasant Theatre, Wharton Center
- The ceremony includes presentation of the Outreach Scholarship Community Partnership (OSCP) award in recognition of a mutually beneficial sustained campuscommunity research partnership.
Transformations in Higher Education: The Scholarship of Engagement Book Series
In partnership with MSU Press, the National Collaborative for the Study of University Engagement has created a new book series designed to provide a forum for examining the issues, challenges, and opportunities surrounding engaged scholarship. The first publications in the series, The Handbook of Engaged Scholarship: Contemporary Landscapes, Future Directions (Vols. 1 and 2, edited by Fitzgerald, Burack, & Seifer, 2010) and Democracy and Higher Education: Traditions and Stories of Civic Engagement (Peters, 2010), are available from MSU Press.
Planning in the 21st Century Global Knowledge Economy
A new website developed by the MSU Center for Community and Economic Development offers comprehensive support for community planners, students, and citizens. The site provides information about collaborative regional strategies and other innovative approaches.
Evaluation and Community-Based Research
The Community Evaluation and Research Collaborative (CERC) has published a list of links to resources for evaluation and community-based research on its website. Topics include program evaluation, data sources, grant writing, logic models, and research assistance available at MSU.
The Engagement Exchange Briefs
The Engagement Exchange is a new publication series from the National Collaborative for the Study of University Engagement that provides faculty leaders and administrators with timely, relevant information to assist them in strengthening outreach and engagement activities on their own campuses.
Elledge Promoted to Associate Director of UARC
Michael S. Elledge has been promoted to Associate Director of MSU Usability/Accessibility Research and Consulting, where he has served as an assistant director since 2006. In his new capacity, Elledge will expand client contact and business development, as well as continue project management, usability testing, and facilitation.
McNall Promoted to Associate Director of CERC
Miles A. McNall has been promoted to Associate Director of UOE's Community Evaluation and Research Collaborative. He will lead "The Evaluation Circle," a professional development program that is designed to build capacity of students and faculty in program evaluation and community-based research.